Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LENT

Jarrod and I decided to give up all sweets/desserts for lent this year. Lent is a Christian tradition that takes place the forty days leading up to Easter. The purpose is to focus on and prepare our hearts for the true meaning of Easter - the Resurrection of Jesus. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan.

I grew up in a Baptist church and this is not something that was specifically talked about. Our Riesel pastor strongly encouraged the congregation to give up something for lent. I have heard of different religions and people doing it different ways. Some can partake in whatever they gave up on Sundays, but we are not doing so. That makes the ideal 40 day period SEVEN DAYS LONGER for us.

I have always had a major sweet tooth. I have no self control....I can't eat just one cupcake! The first few days were particularly challenging for me. It has now been 14 days and it has gotten much easier. I often crave warm chewy brownies or cookies (and sometimes Reese's PB cups). I have substituted sweet treats with trail mix, fruit and veggies. This definitely itsn't a bad idea sine I'd still like to lose a few more baby LBS!!

Only 33 days left....on Easter I look forward to enjoying that brownie!

No comments:

Post a Comment