Saturday, February 20, 2010

Emma to the ER

Emma has had a mild "normal" cough now for what seems like forever. You know, the one that all kids seem to pick up during the Winter time. On Tuesday night her sweet cheeks were especially rosy red. I took her temp as she was on the way out the door with her to daddy to a basketball game. It was around 99 but we didn't think much of it. She slept fine that night and on Wed we went about our normal Temple for dance, lunch and errands. That evening she started acting a bit lethargic and asked to go to bed at 6:45...most days she won't nap and even fights her 9pm bedtime! I felt that something might be wrong. On Thursday she was hot and cold. She would be pitiful and then would play hard...back and forth. That evening she again asked to go to bed a little early. Her temperature range was between 101-103.

An out-of-state two year old friend was in the hospital for a few days last week for pneumonia, so I may have been a little paranoid. I had that gut feeling that something was very wrong, so I did some online research about the illness. When I checked on her I felt like she was breathing more shallow and quickly than normal. Her heartbeat seemed too high and she was moaning off and on. Jarrod got home around 9 from a meeting and I shared my concerns. He went in to check on her and was also a bit distrubed. I decided to call the PAN to get a professional opinion. She asked a series of questions and finally consulted the on call doctor. She asked to listen to her breathe over the phone. Because of her wheezing, elevated pulse and other symptoms she recommended that we take her to the emergency room rather than wait to see the pedi the next morning.

This was a first for us. Having little brother in the mix made it a little tricky, but thank goodness for family living nearby! We grabbed the necessities, broke down the pack n play, filled a sippy cup, packed a bottle, counted diapers, scooped toiletries in a bag, packed extra outfits for everyone and out the door we went. We even managed to put Owen in his car seat still swaddled. I dropped Jarrod and Emma off at the ER and my dad met them there. I drove on to my parents' house to assemble the pack n play, feed Owen and get him settled. I felt bad for inconveniencing my parents since my dad was scheduled for knee surgery at 6:30 the next morning. I am eternally grateful for my mom and dad.
We were prepared to sit and wait for hours at the ER. To our amazement, they immediately took Emma back to a room and checked her out. I told the nurse it must be a slow night. She replied that they don't like to use the "S" word....instead, it just wansn't too busy! They took care of her so fast that I missed most of it. Less than an hour after dropping them off, Jarrod called with an update. She was diagnosed with pneumonia in one lung and was awaiting a strong antibiotic shot to get the healing process started with a boost. Her oxygen level was acceptable but a little low.

Upon my arrival back at the ER my dad was waiting for me in the lobby. He had a huge Dora Explorer sticker on his blue jacket! He headed home to get some rest before his surgery. As I headed back to room A11 I was so thankful that we live in a world where doctors, nurses, medicines and procedures are readily available to us. I knocked on the door and heard the sweetest little voice say "Come in!" Emma's face lit up and she was glad to see me! I must admit that it was a little scary to see her in a hospital bed with a monitor recording her oxygen level and pulse. She was very tired and eventually fell asleep holding her daddy's hand. They both had fun Spongebob stickers on their shirts. Emma noticed that I didn't have one and without hesitation, gave me one of hers.....what a sweetheart! While waiting for the pharmacy to mix her shot, we heard some comotion in the hallway. It was evident that a policeman was arresting a lady patient. She was trying to resist as he named off numerous warrants out for her arrest in a hand full of counties. She had been drinking and driving that night but was headed to spend the night in jail. Finally her shot was ready and Emma was NOT a fan! The nurse explained that it was an exceptionally painful shot, even for adults. Luckily they mix in a numbing aid for children. They warned us that her leg might be sore for a few days. After waiting for twenty minutes to ensure no allergic reaction, we were on our way back to my parents' house...but not without a 2am stop by Whataburger :)

The ER nurses suggested we take her for a follow up with her pedi the next day. We drove to Waco to see Dr Dewbre. Since the ER hadn't ordered xrays or blood work, she wanted to do that. Emma was perfect for the radiologist but didn't appreciate her middle finger being pricked for blood work. After, she held that middle finger up in the air for about 12 hrs! After reviewing the xrays and blood work, it was determined that the pneumonia was in both lungs and that her white blood count was a little high. She ordered TWO more of those painful antibiotic shots and prescribed an oral antibiotic that she started this morning. Emma had a rough day getting poked and looked at, so she got to choose where we went for lunch. She chose McDonalds and really wanted to play, but her legs her too bad and she couldn't walk :( I promised her we would go back when she started to feel better.
She rested on the couch last night and watched movies. She woke me up at 4am and wanted 7Up and told me all the things she wanted to do today (play dress up, play outside, watch her shows, play with her Little People, etc...) I am happy to report that she has been fever free all day and has playing like crazy!! God is so good....and I am thankful that he provides such wisdom to doctors. She dislikes taking her medicine and wants to leave her fancy pink hospital bracelet on!


  1. Wow Katie. I'm so glad everything is okay. I know that had to have been scary. I'm so sorry but glad she is better now.

  2. You are SUPER MOM! You deserve your own t-shirt! Love you guys and am SO glad all is better!!