Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Jesus paid it all

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” -Luke 22:19

(A craft tile Emma made this Summer at VBS.  She created grapes out of her very own sweet fingerprints!)

During worship on Sunday morning we took part in the Lord's Supper.  I can't begin to count the number of times and places in which I have taken part in it since I became a Christian at the age 8.  This time was very different.  Emma was sitting in the pew with us.  In the quiet of the sanctuary I tried to whisper the meaning of what we were doing.  Somehow the inpromptu explanation of relating Jesus' blood and grape juice didn't quite make sense to her at the time :) 

In that very moment I was suddenly overwhelmed and appreciative as the Lord placed a huge responsibility on my heart.  It was His grand plan all along for me to be Emma's mother.  He chose me.  I was so overwhelmed that I had to grab a Kleenex before the tears made my mascara go haywire!  I was immediately taken back to my childhood and remembered what an instrumental part my parents and grandparents played in my decision to follow Christ.

This is the time in Emma's life that I start teaching her lifelong lessons such as how to tie her shoes, how to read and how to load the dishwasher.  Above all of these things, it is my job and my joy to teach her about Jesus and to one day guide her to personally accept him into her heart.  This is by far the most important decision she (and all of us) will ever make.

On Sunday a tiny seed was planted.  It made the wheels start turning in her head.  She knows that Jesus is God's son and that he died on the cross for our sins.  I am honored to be able to build on that knowledge and to continue to lead her to Him.  There is no bigger blessing.

1 comment: